I will be travelling from Portland (more specifically Hillsboro (Tanasbourne)) to Bend, Oregon for a weekend ski trip. I have not done this route before and know of a couple ways via car to get there.
- Route 26 East, past Mt Hood then Route 97 down into Bend
- Route 5 South connecting to Route 22 then 20 into Bend.
According to Google maps the quickest is #2 (slightly) 3hr 15min with #1 being 3hr 23min.
Since I will be leaving by car (Chevrolet Cruze) from Hillsboro at 5pm Fri 13th Feb what would be the better route considering the following
- Road conditions such as snow/ice
- Road quality
- Peak traffic through Portland (for #1)
- Would the car be suitable or would a 4x4 be required
I will not have chains so I would imagine safety is best. I have not driven in snow/ice before