This question already has an answer here:

I'm from India. I applied for a business visa to Spain for 90 days. I got the Visa approved with Multiple visits. But it's been approved only for 30 days. I need to be there for another 1 month for my Business trip. Why did this happen and could I extend my Visa after reaching Barcelona?

marked as duplicate by JonathanReez, pnuts, Zach Lipton, Vince, Ali Awan Dec 21 '16 at 15:12

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • A visa run To a nearby country? – Ayesh K Jan 10 '15 at 10:53
  • @AyeshK What? I'm sorry. But I didn't understand as to what you were trying to suggest to solve my issue here. – dishoom Jan 10 '15 at 11:06
  • So you got a Schengen visa for 30 days. What is the validity period? Is it only 30 days or does it allow you to stay within Spain for at most 30 days in a given longer period? I am asking because it is typically not possible to have two visa with overlapping validity dates at the same time. – DCTLib Jan 10 '15 at 11:11
  • 2
    @AyeshK It does not work that way at all. A visa valid for more than six months generally should not have any restriction beyond the general 90 days in any 180-day period limit. Other restrictions are total number of days during the whole visa validity, not limits on the duration per visit. – Relaxed Jan 10 '15 at 15:14
  • 1
    @AyeshK As Spain is a member of the Schengen area, nearly all short-stay visas issued by Spain will be regular uniform type C Schengen visas. But it's true the OP did not explicitly mention it. – Relaxed Jan 10 '15 at 15:33

Generally speaking consulates from Schengen countries can issue what they deemed appropriate, you can't apply for a “90 days visa” or a “30 days visa” or anything like that. So if you submitted an itinerary for a business trip with meetings spread over ten days, you might receive a visa covering only that and you can't expect to get some sort of standard visa that would allow a longer stay.

If you did however submit a longer itinerary with all the necessary documentation, it's also possible they simply made a mistake. You can always try to ask them to reconsider (informally, as there is a procedure to complain about refusals but nothing if you did get a visa).

In any case, you can't generally extend a short-stay visa from within Spain (there are some exceptions but they won't apply to your situation).

  • Can i ask them to reconsider to extend my visa after going to barcelona? is there no way for me to get an extension after going to Spain? I did give my itenary that clearly stated that I will be there till March 6th. Over got meetings spread all over in February. – dishoom Jan 10 '15 at 18:16
  • @dishoom Usually it's not possible, you should try to contact the consulate as soon as possible. – Relaxed Jan 10 '15 at 18:29
  • I'm leaving tonight to Spain and Consulate is closed today. – dishoom Jan 11 '15 at 2:36
  • I found this answer at answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110416135710AAKu9As There's a point that says: Examples of serious personal reasons justifying an extension of a visa: - an Angolan businessperson has travelled to Italy to negotiate a contract with an Italian company and to visit several production sites in Italy. Negotiations take longer than expected and the Angolan national has to stay one week longer than intended. – dishoom Jan 11 '15 at 2:41
  • @dishoom Yes, that's the kind of things that can justify an extension according to the Handbook for the processing of visa application and the modification of issued visa published by the EU Commission. That's what I alluded to in the last paragraph of my answer but the problem is that in your case there is no unexpected change, you are leaving knowing full well that you want to stay longer. You could get lucky but there is no reason for the Spanish authorities to grant you an extension in this situation. – Relaxed Jan 11 '15 at 10:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.