I am leaving India for the US and plan to tour Europe on my way back from the US. However, I believe I can't apply for a Schengen visa in India before leaving to Europe because I would be staying in the US for six months - longer than the validity of the schengen visa.

Thus I am curious if I can apply for a schengen visa from the US, while touring the US on a B1/B2 tourist visa.


I checked a few EU embassies sites for requirements, none of them explicitly says that you will have to be a permanent resident to apply for the visa. While I am sure on other EU embassies (such as in UAE) you are required to be a citizen or a permanent resident.

Anyway, I think it is possible as many travelers especially ones who travel for long times do apply for tourist visas on the road. I also think you will face some problems though, one of them is providing a recent original copy of your employment certificate and a recent bank account statement.

Your best bet is letting someone back home email you these documents and visit a consulate with all the documents and then explain to them your situation, I guess you will get it. Remember, your stay and intend to leave the US is a positive thing and I guess it will help you in getting the Schengen visa.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.