I am a French citizen and I am going to USA to work with a company during a Toy Fair event. The job is not contractual and not paid directly. The company covers my travel and accommodation costs. I will stay in the USA for about a week.

Do I need a visa for such a travel?


No, you don't need a visa to visit the US.

A French citizen can visit for 90 days for business or leisure without obtaining a visa. What you need is a travel authorization ("ESTA"), that you can apply for online.

You can apply at the USCBP ESTA website. There is a $14 fee.

  • Indeed, a good article in french about the ETSA program can be found here Dec 7 '11 at 14:27
  • you're wrong. He specifically mentioned a BUSINESS trip, those do not fall under the Visa waiver program.
    – jwenting
    Dec 8 '11 at 6:10
  • 2
    You're wrong. From the ESTA page: "You plan to travel to the United States for business or pleasure."
    – victoriah
    Dec 8 '11 at 14:42
  • you need ESTA clearance for both business AND pleasure, in addition to any visa you may also need.
    – jwenting
    Dec 14 '11 at 7:31
  • 1
    @jwenting that is not correct. An ESTA is NOT required if you hold a visa. An ESTA is required only if you using the Visa Waiver program (which only covers certain things - it does cover some categories of business travel, but not typically not 'work'). Sep 14 '12 at 19:12

Yes, for business travel (which this is) you're going to need a business visa (NOT a tourist visa).
You may or may not also need a work permit (especially if the company is a US company, unlikely if it's a French company and all you're doing is representing them to potential US customers). The US embassy or consulate nearest you should be able to give you a definite answer.

  • 4
    This contradicts the other answer and what ESTA's site seems to say...
    – Ankur Banerjee
    Dec 8 '11 at 10:24
  • 1
    in that case things have changed. My father travelled to the US extensively on business and always (even for a visit of occasionally only a few hours) would need a business visa. In the end the embassy just handed him an unlimited business visa, so he didn't have to go to them every other week for a fresh one.
    – jwenting
    Dec 14 '11 at 7:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.