Recently I booked the ticket to Copenhagen from China with Air Berlin which means I have to transfer inside Germany. However, I only got the Type D visa valid for Denmark. Will I have troubles transferring with this visa? (not valid for Schengen countries, only for Denmark)

closed as unclear what you're asking by Mark Mayo, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo, Gagravarr, Nean Der Thal, Karlson Nov 25 '14 at 15:23

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Transferring or traveling? – Karlson Nov 24 '14 at 20:56
  • 1
    What's your citizenship? – Mark Mayo Nov 25 '14 at 2:55
  • @MarkMayo Presumably PRC. – jpatokal Nov 25 '14 at 3:45
  • @jpatokal presumably, but the 'obvious' has been wrong before :/ – Mark Mayo Nov 25 '14 at 3:52
  • Why is the citizenship relevant? If he needs a visa for Denmark, he would also need a full Schengen visa for Germany to transfer or transit from an extra- to an intra-schengen flight independent of his citizenship. – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Nov 25 '14 at 10:26

This official page states:

All residence permits issued by the Danish immigration authorities in the form of a residence sticker, or a residence card, which is valid for Denmark, is also valid for entering and staying in other Schengen countries.

Based on that it seems unlikely that you're right that your visa is valid only for Denmark. What exactly makes you conclude that?

  • Best to clarify in comments before answering, if something is uncertain. – Mark Mayo Nov 25 '14 at 2:56
  • 1
    A type D visa in the uniform format usually has “Name of the country” under the “valid for” rubric. A type C (short-stay) visa would have “Schengen states” (or a translation) in the same spot. Maybe that's the source of the confusion? – Relaxed Nov 25 '14 at 11:07

Is your D visa really restricted to Denmark? That would be rather unusual.

If it actually is, you will need another Schengen visa valid for Germany to transfer to an intra-schengen flight in Germany.

  • 1
    Best to clarify in comments before answering, if something is uncertain. And to provide a link for visa requirements when answering, if possible. – Mark Mayo Nov 25 '14 at 2:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.