I have a Canadian passport but live in the United Arab Emirates. I would like to visit Italy for a week but would like to know if my passport will be enough or if I will need a tourist visa.

  • I think the fact of you living in the UAE is irrelative to your case, the passport is what matters, hence I removed the tag for it and edited the title. Nov 24 '14 at 18:09

Italy is part of the Schengen zone, and if you are presenting a Canadian passport, a visa is not required beforehand.

Canada is mentioned explicitly in Annex II of COUNCIL REGULATION (EC) No 539/2001 of 15 March 2001: listing the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement.


Your current residence and circumstances (if not pejorative or suspicious) have no bearing on it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.