There are countries in the Balkan area that allow entry if you have a Schengen visa but am not able find a definite list of all those countries. Knowing that will save me getting a visa for all those countries when I do my mega Euro trip.


Since each of these countries would unilaterally decide whether they recognize Schengen visas and under which conditions, I don't think it's possible to find an official list anywhere. I am marking this answer as “community wiki” so that we can come up with a list:

Schengen country categorisation

  • According to Timatic and Wikipedia, Mexico offers a visa exemption for 180 days to those holding a valid visa issued by "Canada, Japan, USA, United Kingdom or a Schengen Member State" (this may be further restricted by nationality).
  • @CGCampbell Thanks for the tip! Feel free to edit, it's a wiki-answer! – Relaxed Nov 17 '14 at 14:17
  • 2
    congrats for civic mindedness on making this one a wiki! It was low hanging fruit for rep hogs. – Gayot Fow Nov 17 '14 at 14:27
  • Is this applicable to residence permit holders from one of the Schengen countries? – naresh Mar 14 '18 at 8:28

There are 19 countries that are not part of the Schengen Area and which you can visit without a national visa if you do hold a schengen visa.

For more information, please have a look at http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/non-eu-countries-where-you-can-go-with-schengen-visa/

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    Welcome to the site. Your source, schengenvisainfo.com, is notorious on TSE for having outdated, unreliable information. Is there any chance you can find a more reliable source? – phoog Nov 4 '16 at 16:07
  • 1
    I think it is very reliable source because for every information you find the official government link. – Fisnik Nov 4 '16 at 16:50
  • @Fisnik good point; I hadn't noticed that. – phoog Nov 4 '16 at 18:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.