I am travelling to Portugal and Paris in December. I am from South Africa and will be flying on a Schengen Visa. We want to do a day trip on the Eurostar from Paris to London. What are the visa requirements I would need?


As far as I know, the requirements are exactly the same as if you would want to travel to the UK for a month as a tourist. There are some rules about transit but no exemptions for day trips or for Schengen visa holders. And trains to the UK are treated like flights into the country, which means passport check and security inspection prior to boarding.

In your case, it means that you also need a visa for the UK.

  • 1
    If it's approved, the OP will get the full six months anyway. Possibly capped to sync with the Schengen... – Gayot Fow Nov 17 '14 at 11:55
  • You can remove "As far as I know", the answer is fine, up-to-date, blah blah blah. No need to qualify it :) – Gayot Fow Nov 17 '14 at 12:02
  • @GayotFow Advice on what visa somebody needs is almost legal advice: gentle disclaimers seem appropriate. – David Richerby Nov 17 '14 at 12:09
  • @DavidRicherby, information on this site does not constitute 'legal advice', at least for matters arising under UK immigration law. See legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1999/33/contents – Gayot Fow Nov 17 '14 at 12:18
  • 1
    @GayotFow I mean "legal advice" in the loose sense that the question is essentially "What does the law say about X?" and the answer is "To the best of my knowledge, it is legal to do Y and Z." – David Richerby Nov 17 '14 at 12:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.