I'm from Philippines and currently employed as a nurse here in my country. I applied for a Schengen visa to study German language for 3 months. Unfortunately, my application was refused under the following circumstances:

  1. The information presented regarding the justification of my stay was not reliable

  2. I have not proven enough fund to cover my expenses during my stay there

  3. I was not able to satisfy them about my willingness to return to my home country before my visa expires.

Anyone who has a good idea on what right approach should I take.

  • 1
    The purpose of my stay was not substantiated by the documents presented. I presented the confirmation letter sent bu the school containing the following details: paid 3 months tuition fee for a six months language course program, have a reserved room at the campus..
    – Betynka
    Commented Nov 16, 2014 at 2:53
  • I'm surprised your school didn't advise you on the right type of visa to apply for. The Schengen visa is only for short stays (you can only stay for 90 days in any 180 day period). Commented Apr 7, 2016 at 4:48

3 Answers 3


Item 2 is pretty self-explanatory, you need more money in your bank account or evidence of salary being paid while you travel. You can pad your account with money from family or friends, but don't just put one big lump sum in, as consular officials are wise to that trick. Add the money in smaller chunks over several weeks.

Item 3 is a sticking point for many visa applications for people from developing or third world countries. They want to see evidence you are motivated to return home. This can include owning a house, children or parents that you support / take care of, a very desireable job that is guaranteed for your return, etc. And unfortunately, these can sometimes be hard to document (except owning your own house).

  • 1
    Anything you can think of that shows your reason to visit and your reason to return home will be helpful. The more documentation you can show the better your chances are.
    – user13044
    Commented Nov 16, 2014 at 6:56
  • 1
    @gayot - Item #1 was difficult to address, as we didn't know what Betynka submitted. But was mentioned during the comment conversation, that she should submit everything related to why she is traveling there. But #3 is by far the biggest reason for visa rejection for people coming from developing and third world countries.
    – user13044
    Commented Nov 18, 2014 at 0:46
  • 1
    @Tom, can you point me to the statistics on 'by far the biggest reason...'. I would love to see them!
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Nov 18, 2014 at 9:18
  • 2
    @gayot - I don't know of any published "statistics", I only know what has happened to people I know and comments from folks who work at the consulates (off the record chat over drinks, not official statements). Of course I also know that this lack of some internet "proof" will not satisfy the nitpickers here. But sorry I am old fashion, I answer questions based on my own knowledge, not something I goggled.
    – user13044
    Commented Nov 18, 2014 at 9:56
  • 1
    Beer is cheap where I live and I have lived a long time ;-)
    – user13044
    Commented Nov 19, 2014 at 0:52

Tom already provided good advice (+1 to his answer) but I just noticed your comment. You apparently submitted documentation (leave from your work, tuition fees and funds) for a three-month stay while registering to a six-month program that you cannot possibly complete on a short-stay visa. That's a big no-no that would make your application look very suspicious. It must have looked like this language program is just a pretext for you to enter Germany and do something else during these three months or even stay illegally in the country after that.

Beside following Tom's advice, you definitely need to either find a three-month program or apply for the right type of visa (and even that might be difficult in your situation).


I think you should apply for a student visa, not a Schengen visa. Schengen visa is for short stays only, usually with the main purpose of tourism. A different visa applies for those who plan to study in the EU. :)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .