I am a US student studying in Paris for the spring semester. I am in the process of getting my student visa, which will be valid until mid-July.

However, I am planning to intern in Switzerland until mid-August. Once I leave France, am I able to stay in Switzerland? and for how long? Or must I leave the Schengen zone? I'm trying to figure out how I can make this work.

What is required (visa?) by Switzerland for US citizens that want to be interns?

  • As this question is about long-term arrangements, our sister site at Expatriates.SE may be better equipped to help you.
    – choster
    Oct 29, 2014 at 1:51
  • I'm more wondering if I would be able to stay in SWITZERLAND after my FRENCH visa expires and for how long
    – user22130
    Oct 29, 2014 at 3:19
  • I don't understand why the question was closed, it is about short-stay (the long-stay visa is a background element, not what the question is about). It is also closely related to earlier questions that were deemed on topic and seems similar to the “working holiday visa” questions we are happy to accept.
    – Relaxed
    Oct 29, 2014 at 9:51
  • For me it is off-topic because it is about internships under student visa. The center question is what Switzerland requires for interns, and that is in my opinion more related to work visas (off-topic) than travelling. Unless, maybe, the internship is particularly short (<1 month), but that is not mentioned in the question.
    – Vince
    Oct 29, 2014 at 18:30
  • @Vince Once again, the student visa is for France, the OP is asking about staying in Switzerland after that and indeed explicitly about a one-month stay from mid-July to mid-August! But in any case, we have many questions about stays longer than a month and about work (and in particular about “work holiday visa”) so your criteria do not seem to reflect established practice on this site.
    – Relaxed
    Oct 29, 2014 at 19:28

1 Answer 1


You can enter Switzerland and stay there, for 90 days, under the usual rules which allow visa-free visits to the Schengen area for US citizens. The time spent in France under your French long-stay visa do not count towards these 90 days, see e.g. Does tourist visa (90 days) apply after a long-term visa ends in Schengen countries?

However I don't think you are allowed to do an internship in Switzerland without a Swiss visa/authorization (especially since I seem to recall that internships must be paid there), even during the validity period of your French visa.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .