I'm a Canadian citizen, and I have a girlfriend (and the start of a new life) waiting for me in France. I have returned to Canada to acquire my Portuguese nationality and am awaiting the documentation asserting that I am now a Portuguese citizen. With this, I will be able to live and work in France until I am ready to marry.
- I visited France at the beginning of July 2014.
- I stayed for a total of 80 days of the 90/180 Schengen rule.
- After I receive my Portuguese citizenship, I will have to wait for another 1.5 months before receiving my identity card and Portuguese passport.
I have already been away from my girlfriend and "life" more than I'd care to be, and it's also financially draining.
- Once I receive the documentation stating that I am a Portuguese citizen, can I return to France on my Canadian passport?
- Would the 90/180 rule apply to me since I entered on the Canadian passport?
- If I entered on my Canadian passport, would I have to leave on it the next time I fly out of Europe?
- If I did, would it count as overstaying?
I'm not worried about getting the citizen card or passport, because I could apply for those at the Portuguese Embassy in France.