I am traveling from San Francisco to Beijing in November, and will only be spending about 60 hours in Beijing. I learned from a friend that as a U.S. citizen flying into Beijing Capital, and then later out of Beijing Capital (to Krabi, Thailand via Kuala Lumpur) I could get a 72-hour transit visa upon arrival in Beijing. To do this I know I need to show Chinese immigration proof of onward journey out of China within 72-hours, which is fine since I already have that ticket.

What I can't figure out is if I need to tell my carrier from SFO -> PEK, Philippine Air, anything special. I know many airlines check to make sure you have a valid visa before allowing you on international flights. I called the Philippine Air office and the woman I talked with assured me that since I have a "roundtrip" ticket (SFO -> PEK, BKK -> SFO) that I had nothing to worry about when I get to the airport in San Francisco.

Is she correct?

  • 1
    Girls on a registration desk will ask about your chinese visa. Just show them a ticket from Beijing to Kuala Lumpur and tell about transit visa. That's all what you need.
    – MikkaRin
    Sep 29, 2014 at 7:50

1 Answer 1


I'm a US citizen and I just had a layover in Shanghai this past December. Actually had to switch planes and carriers. Neither carrier cared about any of it--I was totally on my own. The airport immigration staff just asked to see my printout of my ticket and passport--that was it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.