I am a dual South African / US citizen, living in the US.
I want to travel to Brazil but avoid having to get a visa as I would have to do as a US citizen. As a South African, a visa is not required.
Can I leave the US on my US passport (which is required by law) and then enter Brazil on my South African passport?
I imagine the steps would be as follows:
- Check in to the flight using my SA passport (possibly having to show the airline my US passport as well to prove they won't have to fly me back).
- Go through passport control with my US passport
- Enter Brazil on my South African passport
- Leave Brazil on my South African passport (while showing the airline the US passport to prove they won't have to fly me back)
- Enter the US on my US passport.
Should I expect to encounter any problems if I do this?