I am considering travelling from UK to Canada for 21 days and then travelling onwards to USA for a further 85 days.

I am a UK citizen so therefore have an ESTA - will this be OK for the above trip?

  • 1
    Do you intend to cross back into Canada after the US or are you flying back directly from the US ? – blackbird Sep 10 '14 at 14:02
  • 5
    Also importantly, will you touch down in the US on your way to Canada? That has the potential to cause you to exceed your stay limits. – DJClayworth Sep 10 '14 at 14:40

You don't need a visa to enter Canada (reference) and the US will grant you entry for 90 days following their VWP (reference).

Just make sure your passport is valid beyond those dates and you should be fine.

  • 1
    It's not so simple: for ESTA purposes, time spent in Canada between visits in the US counts against the 90-day limit. I think this isn't a problem here because Mike won't be entering the US until after leaving Canada (assuming a direct flight from the UK, without changing planes in the US), but it bears checking. – Gilles 'SO- stop being evil' Sep 10 '14 at 21:37
  • 1
    @Gilles yep, see DJClayworth's comment above :) – blackbird Sep 11 '14 at 1:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.