I am an Australian citizen and would like to stay in the US for longer than the 90 day visa, is there a way I can do this? I do not have a profession so I cannot apply for a work visa.

  • 1
    What would you be doing with the extra time in the USA? Only there'd be a big worry that you'd be spending it working...
    – Gagravarr
    Aug 17, 2014 at 11:52
  • i THINK if you go to the USA consulate (I mean say in Sydney) you can get a 6 months visa. NOte that the most common thing people do is, just go to canada or the carib. for a few days, and come back to the US - hence getting a new 90 day visa.
    – Fattie
    Aug 17, 2014 at 14:23
  • @JoeBlow: That is not possible. Please see Can you re-enter USA on an ESTA? for example. Aug 17, 2014 at 21:15
  • Great information Greg, I had no idea - things have changed in the last few years eh?
    – Fattie
    Aug 18, 2014 at 6:00

1 Answer 1


You could look into a B1/B2 visa, which can be for tourist purposes, up to a period of six months.

There is quite a bit of information to read on qualifications, etc but with the right documentation and evidence of funds, tickets etc, you could still do it.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .