I am a European citizen non-US resident travelling to the US for 4 weeks under the ESTA Visa Waiver, of which 10 days will be spent telecommuting/work remotely. I know that I am legally within my rights to do so, based on the ESTA Visa Waiver Help section. And based on these sources: http://www.ilw.com/articles/2012,0625-Paparelli.shtm & http://taxmap.ntis.gov/taxmap/pubs/p519-010.htm, I will also not be taxable for that time because:
- My salary for those 10 days will be less than $3000.
- My total time spent in the US this year will be less than 90 days.
- My employer is a non-US company.
(And just to be clear: I have no intentions of moving to the US permanently. I don't actually believe it's relevant in this case but just want to spare any such line of questioning.)
Please could someone
- verify my understanding?
- confirm that the tax-related sources above are applicable to persons entering via the ESTA Visa Waiver programme?
- If I am incorrect on either of the above questions, please point me towards the type of visa that WOULD legally permit such activity?