I’m a new immigrant to Canada. I’m traveling from Cairo Egypt to Toronto via Germany or any other European country with an Egyptian passport and a Canadian visa.

Will I need a transit visa for Germany or Europe? How can I get one in Cairo? How much time will it take?

  • Welcome to Travel.SE. It would be best if you could demonstrate what research you have attempted on your own (e.g. contacting the German consulate, calling the airline, even doing a web search). The Airport Transit in Germany page from Germany.info suggests that no, you do not need a transit visa when traveling on an Egyptian passport.
    – choster
    Jul 29 '14 at 22:33
  • See also travel.stackexchange.com/questions/30569/…
    – Relaxed
    Jul 30 '14 at 1:10

You do not need a transit visa if you remain airside when you transit through Germany. Auswaertiges Amt (the Federal Foreign Office) publishes a list of countries whose citizens require a transit visa, and Egypt is not on it.

In addition, holders of a valid Canadian visa or permanent resident card do not need a transit visa at all.

If you must leave the airport, (e.g. your layover is overnight and the airport closes) or your layover is longer than 12 hours, you will need a regular short stay Schengen visa.

  • (+1) In fact, the list isn't even relevant, there is no scenario under which a Canadian visa holder could require an airport transit visa.
    – Relaxed
    Jul 30 '14 at 1:09

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.