I'm going to the UK tomorrow and I've only been there twice before. I'm a British citizen and they always refuse to stamp me, is there any way that I can get them to give me a passport stamp? Is there anything saying that they have to stamp me if I request it? I also have a German passport, could I maybe get a stamp if I used that?

  • 2
    Could you clarify why you want a stamp?
    – Gagravarr
    Jul 14 '14 at 21:57
  • 1
    One time I needed a stamp from my home country to prove that I had returned home on a certain date. Immigration wouldn't do it (for the same reason as you), but Customs had no problem doing so. Jul 14 '14 at 21:59

There is no reason why they would put an entry stamp on a citizen's passport - you can come and go as you please, esp. within the EU. Using your German passport could be a problem - most dual-nationality countries require you to use their passport and not the other one(s).

Asia on the other hand is stamp-happy. My Japanese wife's passport has more in-out stamps from Japan than I have from all countries combined.

If someone needs proof of arrival/departure show them a copy of the boarding pass. Note that as a UK citizen you would have very, very few valid reasons to prove you landed in the UK on a certain date. However, if we turn the question around there are many reasons why you would need to prove you departed another country on a certain date. In that case an exit stamp would be better.

  • 3
    I am a British subject and travel on a Canadian passport. They stamp it, of course. Your first sentence should say "British passport" not "citizen's passport" since my Canadian passport is a citizen's passport. Also the UK doesn't require you to travel on a British passport. I know some countries do, but they don't. (Also I expect the stamp is not for proof of anything but as a souvenir or keepsake.) Jul 15 '14 at 13:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.