I have a valid US visa and I will be travelling from Mumbai to US via Frankfurt and Zurich. Would I need a transit visa for either?

  • 1
    What is your citizenship? – Flimzy Jul 8 '14 at 20:14
  • 2
    Do your flights stop in Frankfurt and Zurich? Or do you arrive at one, and depart from the other? Or do you have a round-trip ticket and you stop in Frankfurt one way and Zurich the other way? – Greg Hewgill Jul 8 '14 at 20:22

The rules are explained in Do I need a visa to transit (or layover) in the Schengen area?

If you have a flight or train between Zurich and Frankfurt, you will need to enter the Schengen area. Depending on your citizenship this could mean getting a full Schengen visa (certainly if you are an Indian citizen).

If you have only one layover in the Schengen area, e.g. in Zurich on the way to the US and in Frankfurt on the way back or vice versa, you probably don't need a visa. In any case, if you have a valid US visa you never need an airport transit visa.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.