I have a valid Certificate of Entitlement of Abode in the UK attached to my SA passport. Do I need a Schengen visa to travel to Europe?

  • 1
    The French embassy to the UK has a page on if you need a visa, do any of the entries in the Holders of passports and other travel documents issued by the British authorities section apply to you? – Gagravarr Jul 1 '14 at 10:08
  • 1
    British nationality law is very complex but how is that possible exactly? Could you provide more details on you status? – Relaxed Jul 1 '14 at 10:20

You will still need a Schengen visa to travel to Europe as it is the Issuing Country of your Passport that will be taken into account and not any endorsements that you have inside it.

  • I tend to think so too but there are some special rules for British nationals who are not British citizens. Is it possible to get an endorsement without having some sort of British nationality? – Relaxed Jul 1 '14 at 10:44
  • The Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode in the UK, entitles a person to live and work in the United Kingdom without restriction. It is specifically for entry into the UK and cannot be used to enter other European Schengen member destiantions – user17034 Jul 1 '14 at 11:03
  • 1
    Yes that's clear but it does also exempt some British subjects, British nationals (overseas) and some other categories of British nationals from the visa requirement for short visits to the Schengen area. It might not apply to the OP however, hence my question. – Relaxed Jul 1 '14 at 11:07
  • Definitely need a Schengen visa unless you fall into one of the following categories (Which a Certificate of Entitlement of Abode is not one of them) BRITISH CITIZENS WHO ARE NOT NATIONALS OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND FOR THE PURPOSES OF UNION LAW: British nationals (Overseas), British overseas territories citizens (BOTC) British overseas citizens (BOC) British protected persons (BPP) and British subjects (BS)’. REGULATION (EU) No 509/2014 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCI – user17034 Jul 1 '14 at 11:20
  • 1
    The point that confused me is whether South African nationals can get a certificate of entitlement of abode without also being British nationals. It might be a very basic question, due to my lack of understanding of British nationality law but all the digressions did nothing to clarify that point for me. – Relaxed Jul 1 '14 at 12:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.