My girlfriend is from Sweden and is coming to Canada with me in September. She has already applied for and received her work permit. When I go onto the Canadian government website, it's very confusing and I can't figure out if she needs anything else.

Question: Is a work permit enough to travel/arrive into Canada and stay for at least a year and work…? Or will she need to get a visitors visa (or anything else) as well?

  • Good question, but belongs to Expats.SE – Nean Der Thal Jun 27 '14 at 17:34
  • 3
    I don't think so - the expat part is already done, he's wondering if she needs a tourist visa. – Mark Mayo Jun 27 '14 at 17:35
  • Related: expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/1381/… – Karlson Jun 27 '14 at 17:38
  • @MarkMayo "Question: Is a work permit enough to travel/arrive into canada and stay for at least a year and work" – Nean Der Thal Jun 27 '14 at 17:45
  • Ah see I was focusing on the fact that she has a work permit, but now wants to know if a visitor's visa is required - as explained in the preamble before that. My answer covers that too. If it's about the work permit itself, then yeah, expats is better, as I've explained in comments below as well. – Mark Mayo Jun 27 '14 at 17:55

The work permit allows you to live and work in Canada, on a temporary basis. The requirements for such are on the Work Permit page online.

Note the requirements are above and beyond having just the work permit - you need proof she is only visiting temporarily, for example.

However, once you have a work permit, that works as a visa - you don't need an additional tourist visa to enter the country.

| improve this answer | |
  • Do you know how long "temporary" is? Or should I just ask that is a whole separate question…just wondering now how long she can stay for... – Jake Jun 27 '14 at 17:39
  • 1
    That's definitely more of an Expats question, sorry, I don't know the answer offhand if it's not already on the visa. – Mark Mayo Jun 27 '14 at 17:52
  • @Jake The expiration date is noted on the work permit itself. – 200_success Jun 27 '14 at 18:41
  • @200_success It doesn't have an expiration date listed… But it does say the following: IMPORTANT: Regulations have established a maximum cumulative duration of four years that a Temporary Foreign Worker can work in Canada. After four years of work has been accumulated, a period of 48 months spent not working in Canada must elapse before another work permit can be issued, with some limited exceptions. Does that mean she can stay for 4 years? Seems like a long time for a work visa... – Jake Jun 27 '14 at 18:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.