I am planning a semester stay in Costa Rica with my family for language school and volunteer work. I think I'm fairly informed about the residency statuses and the mechanics of the 90-day tourist visa (extended by the 72-hour shuffle to Nicaragua or Panama), and I was hoping to get student visas for my wife and myself so that we could avoid the logistic hassle of that shuffle.

However, what I haven't yet been able to find a clear answer about is whether all my children also need student visas, or if a parent's visa is good enough for them to enter. What will be required for my children aside from valid passports, if anything?

My family and I are US citizens.

  • What is your country of citizenship? Jun 27 '14 at 5:32
  • 1
    Haha. So you work at SE. Your profile suggests that you are a US citizen. I'll just add that in. Jun 27 '14 at 5:33

I suppose I could have done this before posting, but maybe the answer here will be helpful to someone else. I called the consulate of Costa Rica in Houston, Tx and asked this question. Their answer was that "yes, they have to all have visas or else they would be illegal."

I got a little chuckle out of the phrase, "they would be illegal", but there it is: children also have to have visas for entry.

  • I have been researching this all this afternoon, all other kinds of temporary residence visas automatically include all dependents. I think this is the only residence visa excepted from this... Jun 27 '14 at 16:56
  • I accept as a distinct possibility that the lady who I was speaking with at the consulate and I weren't communicating very well. I plan to go, and if reality turns out differently than what I've presented here, I'll update. Jun 27 '14 at 17:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.