My Schengen visa expired on 25 June 2014, but my residence permit will be issued on 15 July 2014 (I was supposed to get it before my visa expired but the person who deals with my residence permit is on holiday for one month which caused the application to be delayed).

Before my visa expired, I asked a clerk in the immigration office and was told that I simply need to pay a fine when I come to collect my residence permit, no more than 100 euros. So I decided to stay longer without visa (and overstayed) but I subsequently read on the internet and was told by friends it won't be that simple and that my residence permit might be refused because of me having overstayed my visa.

If you had a similar experience, can you please share with me? Or do you have another better idea about what to do in this situation?

closed as unclear what you're asking by Mark Mayo, JoErNanO, mindcorrosive Jan 17 '15 at 15:38

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    What type of residence permit are you waiting for and from which country? – Relaxed Jun 25 '14 at 18:46
  • 2
    @Zhang The Schengen area comprises 26 countries. They share a common visa policy for short stays but each of them has different rules regarding overstays or residence permits. Maybe someone with some experience of Latvia will be able to answer the question but do not assume that what you might have read about other Schengen countries automatically applies. – Relaxed Jun 25 '14 at 19:11
  • 3
    Generally speaking, for anything as complicated and (presumably) important, you should hire a lawyer familiar with the issue and the local law. – Relaxed Jun 25 '14 at 21:14
  • 1
    Probably you got a receipt for your residence permit request, normally the receipt if valid only inside the country (meaning you can't go to other EU countries with that paper) until you get the response for your request (accepted or denied). – Guido Preite Jun 26 '14 at 7:26
  • 2
    Surely this limbo has not dragged on for 6 months! – Gayot Fow Dec 13 '14 at 2:53