I am an Indian citizen travelling from India to Italy on a student visa via the UK. My flight stops at Heathrow for 2.5 hours. Will I be required to have a transit visa?

  • Welcome to travel.SE. What is your citizenship? And where are you coming from? – Karlson Jun 25 '14 at 15:40
  • @pnuts UK citizenship isn't the only condition to allow TWOV. – Karlson Jun 25 '14 at 15:42
  • @Gagravarr Close but there is no US or US visa involved though the widget is the same. – Karlson Jun 25 '14 at 16:32
  • 2
    The other question mentions a “Schengen visa”, which might or might not be the same than what the OP has. – Relaxed Jun 25 '14 at 16:57
  • The answer is given in the thread Karlson references: it's an easy question to look up from gov.uk/check-uk-visa . – choster Jun 26 '14 at 1:56

Indian citizens generally do need a visa for airside transit at Heathrow but you are probably exempt from this requirement based on your Italian visa. Specifically, you are exempt if you:

have a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the European Economic Area (EEA)

An Italian student visa valid for more than three months would be a category D visa (whereas a short-stay Schengen visa would not). If I am not mistaken, it should look approximately like this:

enter image description here

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.