I'm reading the documentation describing the process of becoming a citizen in the United States, and they want a document describing all the times one has traveled outside of the country.

If one resided as a permanent resident in the USA for 20 years and was young when they first immigrated, how would one retrieve all these instances of travel?

Is there a government entity that would have a record of travel that can be contacted?

  • 3
    I'm not sure whether the government would share such records (I kind of doubt it), but surely the citizenship paperwork will also want to know where you went, and the US almost certainly doesn't know that for sure; when you cross a border outside the US, AFAIK there's no way for the US to be notified. – Nate Eldredge Jun 21 '14 at 4:32
  • Even if all my travels were always from us to somewhere, and that same somewhere back to us. Every time. – I am a guest Jun 21 '14 at 4:43
  • Ok, then I suppose in principle it's possible. I don't have any idea who to ask, though. – Nate Eldredge Jun 21 '14 at 4:56
  • Assuming you only used a handful of airlines, and assuming you're a member of their frequent flyer programs, you could try asking them for the list of flights you credited to your frequent flyer program account over the years? – Gagravarr Jun 21 '14 at 8:31
  • There's certainly no government agency to give you this info, because the government doesn't have all that info. In many international airports in the US, when you leave the country, nobody checks your passport except the airline - and they don't need to pass the info to the US government unless your name flags up against some checking/blacklist system (in which case you wouldn't fly anyway). – Aleks G Jun 21 '14 at 9:03

There are many agencies in the US that track immigration records, listed on the USCIS website. Your best bet seems to be requesting your Entry and Exit records from the CBP (see http://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia/faq-foia). Note that according to the first link I provided, "CBP does not have records on the entry and exit of persons arriving or departing the U.S. before 1982", but if you're interested in only 20 years it should be enough.

Another relevant link: http://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia/records

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.