I am a Romanian passport holder and will be transiting through Canada both ways during a round trip travel between US <-> China. (This is necessary if want to take an affordable Air Canada flight.) To be able to transit, I need to get a Canadian visa.

Question: will I need two transit visas, which effectively double the cost? Is it possible to get a multiple entry transit visa?

There will be 31 days between the two trips.

After a lot of searching, I am unable to find this information on the official website. There are multiple entry visas, but it's not clear if there are multiple entry transit visas, and it's also not clear how much time can pass between the two entries. I am unable to find any contact information (email or phone number) where I can inquire about this. I need to know how much the visas cost to be able to make a decision about which flight to take.

  • What's your citizenship? What's your transit point in Canada? Are you flying out on the same day?
    – Karlson
    Jun 20, 2014 at 15:48
  • @Karlson Romanian. Vancouver. Yes, during business hours (single flight ticket). My related question.
    – Szabolcs
    Jun 20, 2014 at 15:49
  • what flights are you taking? There were (and perhaps still are) some China flights that transit in YYZ without going landside or needing transit visas. Jun 20, 2014 at 15:53
  • Are you by chance a US Green Card holder?
    – Karlson
    Jun 20, 2014 at 15:59
  • 3
    I thought that transit VISA is free: canadainternational.gc.ca/turkey-turquie/visas/…
    – Karlson
    Jun 20, 2014 at 16:03

1 Answer 1


As mentioned on several pages for Canadian Embassies for (Jamaica, and Turkey) the transit visa is Free so the cost is:

2 x nothing = nothing

Transit Visa (for less than 48 hours in Canada) -- free

The only thing I wasn't able to find is whether you will be able to get away with a single transit visa for both parts of the journey.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .