I have been accepted for the Master's program in my university and I am currently a Bachelor's program student.

If I were to accept this and change my Bachelor's degree into a Dual BS/MS degree, will my visa be extended or will. I have to apply for a new visa?

If I were to instead choose another university for my master's program and obtain two separate degrees, will that involve a visa extension with a new I-20 or a new visa as well?



Your visa will not be extended without you applying at a consulate. However if you supply the proper documentation to the international students' office at your university they will extend your I-20, thereby giving you legal status to remain in the country. If your visa has expired and you leave the US (to a place other than Canada or Mexico) you will require a new visa to re-enter and pursue your Masters.

If you choose to join another university, the same thing applies - they will issue you an I-20 which will give you legal status in the country. You can remain in the country with an expired visa and a valid I-20 A new visa is not required unless yours is expired and you exit and re-enter. You can apply for a new visa with the new, current I-20.

Also see internationaloffice.berkeley.edu/students/current/transfer_out

  • Thanks! Can you provide me with some more details or information I can read including this. I didn't expect to be automatically extended of course but I was not aware that I could join a separate university and even then just get my visa extended. ^_^ Jun 16 '14 at 1:22
  • See here for example: internationaloffice.berkeley.edu/students/current/transfer_out By the way, your visa would not be extended, but your status in the US can remain legal.
    – Ansari
    Jun 16 '14 at 3:03
  • Okay, so that means, the visa cannot be extended, if I wish to reenter the country, then I must apply for a new visa? Does this also mean that in case of an F-1 student like me, it is possible to legally remain in the country even with an expired visa as long as I have a valid I-20? Jun 16 '14 at 4:51
  • Yes, you need to apply for a new visa with a current, valid I-20. Yes, you can remain in the country with an expired visa and a valid I-20: ice.gov/sevis/travel/faq_f2.htm#_Toc81222012
    – Ansari
    Jun 16 '14 at 5:03
  • 1
    @AdityaSomani: A U.S. "visa" is only for entry to the U.S. It has nothing to do with remaining in the U.S., which is determined by your status. You don't need a valid visa to remain in the U.S. -- you need legal status.
    – user102008
    Jun 16 '14 at 5:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.