I will be visiting the US and will be taking my work laptop with a US keyboard layout. In the past, I have had trouble reentering the UK because the laptop looked like it was bought in the US and I was challenged at customs. Is it possible to obtain paperwork to make the reentry easier?

  • 2
    Not long ago I bought a laptop in the US which had the Euro symbol and AltGr keys, neither of which are present on US keyboards. I wouldn't have expected to have similar trouble if I traveled to the EU with it, so +1 for you. – Michael Hampton Jun 10 '14 at 14:45
  • I don't think there's any reason to worry over this. Recently I flew from the UK to the US and back with a laptop having a Hebrew layout and no one even bat an eyelid. – ilakast Jun 10 '14 at 20:09
  • 1
    Some countries' Customs used to let you register high value goods, but I haven't been able to find anything for the UK. – mkennedy Jun 10 '14 at 23:51

The original invoice or receipt showing that you or your company purchased it in the UK would be best. This way you can prove the laptop is personal belongings you originally owned in the UK and thus exempt from duty and Import VAT.

  • Unfortunately, I no longer have the original documents. Any other ideas? – Till Hoffmann Jun 10 '14 at 17:17
  • Maybe you still have the warranty receipt? That might work – drat Jun 10 '14 at 18:32
  • Have your company prepare a paper that lists the computer, asset number, serial number etc. Does the UK have the same type of certification as a US notary public? Or put it in a sealed envelope, mail it (to get a dated postmark) to yourself, and bring it with you. Any questions, have them open it! – mkennedy Jun 10 '14 at 23:50
  • 4
    @TillHoffmann is it even a current production model? If not things become a lot easier... I've had questions raised about cameras a few times, until I pointed out they were 5 years old and no longer being made :) – jwenting Jun 11 '14 at 10:14
  • 1
    @jwenting, good point. The machine is about five years old. – Till Hoffmann Jun 11 '14 at 13:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.