I am a South African (living in South Africa) with a British passport (Dual Nationality) I need to visit the UK in a few months time, but my British passport has expired. Can I enter the country with my South African Passport supported by my Certificate of naturalisation? Or where can I renew my Passport?

  • Welcome to travel.SE. How few is few? You may be able to renew your UK passport.
    – Karlson
    Commented Jun 9, 2014 at 17:49
  • Can someone explain what "endorsed" means in the passport context here: timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/…
    – Karlson
    Commented Jun 9, 2014 at 17:51
  • 1
    I think when it says endorsed British Citizen it means that the expired passport needs to show you are British, and not something else (eg perhaps not British Subject)
    – Gagravarr
    Commented Jun 9, 2014 at 18:27
  • 1
    Edmund is wrong, SA citizens can't be granted a tourist visa on entry. They are required to apply in advance
    – reisepass
    Commented Jun 10, 2014 at 19:40
  • 1
    @Karlson en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_passport#Endorsements
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 10, 2014 at 19:43

1 Answer 1


According to Timatic, you can enter Britain on an expired British passport, providing it is endorsed "British Citizen" (or some other endorsement indicating right of abode in the UK).

The idea is that all British citizens are allowed to enter Britain: they don't need permission, just proof of that status. An expired passport proves citizenship just as well as a valid one.

  • There's one little catch here. If I renounce my British citizenship, I only have to surrender my current passport. Technically, I should surrender an expired one, but I can claim to have lost it after I received a new one. Then, purely theoretically, I can use this expired passport to enter Britain.
    – Aleks G
    Commented Feb 11, 2015 at 20:27
  • 7
    @AleksG If you report a passport as lost, it will be marked as such in the relevant databases, and if you attempt to present it to the Border Force you will have a very bad day. Commented Aug 1, 2015 at 3:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .