I'm a non-EU student in the UK for almost a year. I plan to apply for Schengen visa to France- Sweden this August. This is my first time applying for the visa so I have some concerns if you could help me, it's much appreciated.

  1. Should I apply for a single or multi-entry visa?
  2. If I apply for a multi-entry visa, after my UK-France-Sweden-UK trip, will I be able to use the current visa to later go to other Schengen countries (maybe in September) or I can re-visit only France and Sweden?
  • Welcome to travel.SE. What citizenship do you hold? Answer to your first question is here: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/7807/…
    – Karlson
    Jun 5, 2014 at 17:17
  • I'm Vietnamese. Thank you Karlson for the answer to my first question. I'm still confused between single and multi-entry regarding the second question, if you could help?
    – Phuong Le
    Jun 5, 2014 at 17:27

1 Answer 1


As you indicated your first port of entry is France, you should apply for a Schengen visa with the French consulate. Incidentally, they are the best at granting longer-term multi-entry visa.

It's been a while since I needed to do this, but at the time, there was no difference in price between a single- and multi-entry visa. What you should do is state in the application form your intended itinerary as entering France, staying in France, then on to Sweden, then back to UK - and then later travelling to France again. You can also submit a cover letter explaining in more details why you are requesting a multi-entry visa.

It is quite common for French consulate in the UK to issue multi-entry visa valid for 6 months to first-time applicants. Many other countries would automatically issue a single-entry visa for you.

Once you complete your first trip, as long as the visa is still valid (date-wise), you are allowed to visit any other Schengen country, provided you return to the UK by the expiry date on the visa.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .