I travelled to Japan last year and bought some stuff from shops in Tokyo which were subject to return of consumption tax (GST). However, I forgot to submit those consumption tax receipts (which the shop cashiers attached to my passport) to the customs counter in the airport when I exited back to my country. What shall I do now? Will I be blacklisted and refused entry into Japan when I visit Tokyo again sometime in the next few months? Do I need to pay a penalty, and if so, how much?


Don't worry about it. Because there are no electronic records for tax-free purchases, Customs does not know that you were supposed to show them, and as far as I can tell there is zero enforcement of this.

The theoretical point of the system is to ensure that you're taking the duty-free item out of the country, and because you did, you're OK.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.