I have a ten-year UK Child Visitor visa, and I'm an Indian citizen. I'm making a trip to Scotland next month to participate in a ten day leadership camp.

Can I make this trip with my existing visa?

  • 1
    Is the visa still valid? Are you still a child? – Gagravarr May 31 '14 at 14:38
  • 1
    Yes it's a valid visa till 2016. Also a UK child visa is valid for the visa term even after the holder turns 18. – Vedant Chandra May 31 '14 at 14:43
  • 2
    I wondered if my visa covered the fact that I'm taking a course there, or if I needed a student visa. – Vedant Chandra May 31 '14 at 15:44

From www.gov.uk:

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months
  • take a short course of study, for up to 6 months
  • stay for as long as your visa lasts, even if you turn 18 during your visit

You can’t:

  • work
  • get married or form a civil partnership
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately
  • get private medical treatment
  • get public funds

so it's not a problem to visit Scotland and take part in a ten day leadership camp.

  • Thanks a lot for the answer! I'm surprised about the private medical treatment point. Am I permitted to be treated at a state-run hospital? – Vedant Chandra Jun 2 '14 at 12:58
  • 1
    @VedantChandra You can get emergency medical care if you need it; the point of that restriction is that the purpose of your visit on the Child Visitor visa cannot be to seek medical care. – Michael Hampton Jun 3 '14 at 18:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.