I live in India, and I have an anaphylactic allergy to bees. I have been advised to take Epipen epinephrine injections after being stung, but Epipens are not sold in India. Next month I am flying to New York, where Epipens are available for sale.

Can I get a prescription for Epipens filled out by my doctor in India, and use that prescription in a pharmacy in New York to buy them?

Additional details: I have a B2 class ten-year US visa and my doctor is registered and recognised worldwide.

  • FWIW, they appear to be available without a prescription in Canada. – choster Jun 2 '14 at 2:31

No. Your visa status is irrelevant, a prescription by an Indian doctor is just a piece of paper here.

However, if you visit a doctor here and explain the situation (for which having the Indian prescription will help) they'll no doubt give you a US prescription. An Epipen isn't an item of abuse, I wouldn't expect trouble.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.