I recently travelled to the USA from Asia. When I arrived in Detroit they marked my E-cigarette with a clear colorless liquid using a small paint brush used for water colors.

What chemical(s) do they use as markers?

  • 1
    As a related question what is the purpose of the marking?
    – Phil
    May 27 '14 at 23:59
  • 3
    @Phil: "marking" is to elicit a chemical reaction with compounds of explosives that most likely makes the clear liquid change color.
    – Jonas
    May 28 '14 at 8:52
  • 1
    @Jonas, thanks. I wasn't aware they did that with liquids too. Whenever I've been checked it's been with the cloth in in the wand thing
    – Phil
    May 28 '14 at 16:00
  • This question appears to be off-topic because it is about science/chemicals - not a travel question.
    – Mark Mayo
    May 29 '14 at 13:51
  • 7
    @MarkMayo But the fact that something similar may be experienced by travellers makes it relevant right? May 31 '14 at 15:48

They are known as taggants. I found an article about them on Wikipedia.

Hope it helps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.