I was born in Taiwan. Since then, I have moved to America, obtained US citizenship, and visited Taiwan occasionally in no particular order.

My question is this. I know that men over 18 have to serve mandatory stint in the Taiwanese army. Since all my past trips to Taiwan when I was younger than 18, now I'm not so sure.

If I go back to Taiwan to visit, with a valid US passport, would I still be prevented from leaving Taiwan due to my old citizenship with Taiwan?

EDIT: Tried editing the title to not be so specific and a bit more general, similar to this


According to Conscription in Taiwan:

Draftable males classified as Overseas Taiwanese are exempt from the draft provided they do not reside continuously in the Taiwan Area for a) more than four months at a time for those born in 1984 and before or b) more than 183 days in a two-year period.

There is a reference on that quote but it's now a dead link. It seems likely that you would be classified as Overseas Taiwanese because you do not live in Taiwan.

| improve this answer | |
  • But would he be classified as Overseas Taiwanese (probably meant "Overseas Chinese")? – user102008 May 22 '14 at 9:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.