Note: I am an American citizen living in Norway.

As an outdoor person, I plan to do some climbing, hiking etc. while visiting the USA this summer, and I was thinking it may be wise to get some short-term health insurance.

I mostly would like a low deductible emergency coverage, but it seems like temporary insurance plans are fairly expensive due to the general coverage that they offer.

Is there a type of insurance that is specific (or suited) to this scenario?

  • 1
    Travel insurance?
    – mccjeff
    May 20, 2014 at 3:25

1 Answer 1


Since you live in Norway, you might check with Norwegian companies for travel medical insurance. I think you're more likely to find policies that are short-term and focused on emergency protection than if you try U.S. based health insurance companies. Travel medical insurance seems like what you want: it covers emergency expenses incurred during the trip.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .