I am from India. And I am working in USA on H1B VISA.

Due to clerical mistake my father education documents have different last name than his original. Same carried to his job documents also. Where as other set of documents like birth certificate, residence certificate etc.. has his original surname. The original surname carried into my all documents. When I was applied Passport I got with original surname and my father name also printed with original surname. Later recently we have applied passport for my parents. Since the documents required for applying passport are carrying the other last name, they got other than original surname in their passport. So now the last name for my parents in my passport and their passports are different.

So we have made non Judicial document from local attorney about these 2 names which supports the facts of having 2 names for my parents. And also as per the suggestion we have published a notice in the well known newspaper about this fact.

Now I am sponsoring B2 VISA for them.
Do I need to specify 2 names in the visa application and other documents like letter to consulate and invitation letter or do I need to specify names as per their passport and explain the reason when my parents has been asked during VISA Interview?

  • Babu... Did your parents got visa?
    – user28402
    Apr 9 '15 at 18:41

No problem, there is a field for "other names" in the visa form, you can fill the other name they have there. That will do. Plus, in many communities parents names have different surnames, and children names can have other names, it is not something totally strange.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.