I am a student from India heading to the USA. I am transiting through London and have a very long layover (22 hours) at Heathrow. My flight from India arrives at noon at Heathrow, and the flight to USA departs the next day at 10 AM. I plan to spend the night at a hotel outside Heathrow or at my cousin's place.

The UK site says I need a Visitor in Transit visa if I need to leave the airport. But since I hold a valid visa to USA, I may be exempt from that too (mentioned in the same site – "transit without visa concession")


  1. Is the Visitor in Transit visa only applicable for people transiting to another airport within UK or can be used for staying outside/sightseeing also? The UK Visa wizard site says I can get a 'Visitor in Transit' visa for this, but the Visa4UK site says I can't use the 'Visitor in Transit' visa for any other purpose other than transiting to another airport.

  2. What are the chances of being allowed entry to London with a "transit without visa concession"?

  3. Even if I get a visa, is there a chance for my entry to London getting denied?

closed as unclear what you're asking by mindcorrosive May 29 '14 at 15:50

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • What kind of US visa do you have? That may make a difference, as there are transit visa exemptions for people going to/from certain countries (including the USA) where they hold a visa for that country – Gagravarr May 15 '14 at 10:12