I am a Canadian Citizen, visiting Sweden for 90 days without a visa. Is it possible to extend by just 15 days? If so, please provide information as to where I can find out how much it would cost and how to do so if you can.

The reason being, all the flights before the 91 day mark are about 200+ dollars more than after that date.

  • 2
    where in Sweden? Have you considered a train from Malmo to Copenhagen in Denmark (a matter of minutes), and flying from there, or something similar?
    – Mark Mayo
    Commented May 6, 2014 at 6:36
  • 2
    You almost certainly don't have a Swedish tourist visa, as Canadians can visit the Schengen area without visa and therefore shouldn't get a visa for short stays. The only solution to extend your stay would be to get a Swedish long-stay visa, see travel.stackexchange.com/questions/26589/…
    – Relaxed
    Commented May 6, 2014 at 6:38
  • 1
    What about leaving the Schengen area for a few days? eg have a week in the UK or Ireland, so your 97 day trip stays under 90 days in the Schengen area
    – Gagravarr
    Commented May 6, 2014 at 7:39
  • 1
    Beware, if you aren't in Sweden yet, it's perfectly possible that the border guards ask about your plans on entry and if they notice you have booked a ticket that would cause you to stay longer than allowed, they might very well deny entry entirely.
    – Relaxed
    Commented May 6, 2014 at 10:00
  • 1
    You want the You Are Here chatroom - that's the Travel.SE one
    – Gagravarr
    Commented May 6, 2014 at 11:38

1 Answer 1


As far as I can tell, there are no practical solution that would be much cheaper than USD 200. The two fully legal possibilities to stay longer than I know of are:

  • Applying for a Swedish long-stay visa. You could qualify for a visitor's permit or work-holiday visa (WHV). It's unlikely to be practical for 10 days because of visa fees and delays but the WHV could allow you to stay for an entire year relatively easily.
  • Getting an extension of the Schengen visa-free stay or “limited territorial validity” visa. Those do exist but most likely won't be available to you as they are restricted to force majeure or humanitarian reasons.

Other ways to plan this trip without paying for the more expensive flight could be:

  • Traveling out of the Schengen area. Going for a week to Croatia, the UK, Turkey or any other destination outside the area at some point during your stay in Sweden (not necessarily at the end of the trip) would reduce the day count and make sure you don't go over the 90-day limit. With low cost airlines and cheap accommodation it could come close to USD 200. You would not actually extend your stay in Sweden but it could fit in your trip, with a nice holiday somewhere else to boot.
  • Flying from somewhere else like Copenhagen (connecting by train) or even further afield like Frankfurt or Amsterdam (perhaps going there by bus) to find a cheap flight earlier.

See also What are the options for a non-EU national who wants to stay in Netherlands for more than 90 days? (about the Netherlands, not Sweden) and What are the options for a non-EU national who wants to stay in Germany for more than 90 days? (US citizen in Germany).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .