Say that someone has a French visa for study purposes. If he wants to travel to Germany by train for instance, can he go there freely without a passport or visa check?

  • You can visit other Schengen countries legally for up to 90 days, see travel.stackexchange.com/questions/19147/… Furthermore, there shouldn't be any systematic check on the border, so your passport and visa won't be checked in most cases. However, border or not, occasional ID checks are always possible, especially in France but also in Germany I believe. As it's an internal border, your passport shouldn't be stamped, even if there is a control.
    – Relaxed
    May 6, 2014 at 7:01

1 Answer 1


Yes you can, if you have a long term visa from one of the Schengen countries you can freely move to any other Schengen country and stay for a period of three months or less in any 6 months period (90/180 rule).

From EU Immigration Portal:

When you stay in an EU country for a long stay, usually for more than three months, you will generally be issued with a national long-stay visa and/or a residence permit.

If your long-stay visa or permit has been issued by a Schengen area country, you can travel to another Schengen area country for three months per six-month period

  • Technically, that's not exactly what was asked.
    – Relaxed
    May 6, 2014 at 6:59

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .