On my trip to Canada which lasts approximately 3 months, I will need to change airport twice in Tokyo (Japan) once for the departure flight and once for the return flight. Because I will be changing airport in both of these flights, a double-entry transit visa is required. What is the difference in the procedure when applying for a double-entry transit visa, compared to that of a single-entry one?

The most helpful source of information I have found so far is: http://www.sg.emb-japan.go.jp/visa_transit.htm

Will the Embassy use my flight itinerary to decide whether a double or single-entry visa is required and issue accordingly? Or is there anything specific I must follow in order to apply for a double-entry transit visa?

  • Are you sure you even need a transit visa? Direct connections via an airport in Japan do not require one. Apr 3, 2014 at 22:24
  • I will need to change airport (from Haneda to Narita and vice versa) so I believe a transit visa is required.
    – IcySnow
    Apr 4, 2014 at 1:47

1 Answer 1


Japanese visa applications are processed by actual humans, so you can eg. write both dates of arrival in the form, state purpose as "Transit x 2", and note that you want a double-entry visa in the "Remarks" section of the application.

In my experience, Japanese embassies are both very meticulous at following rules and helpful at advising applicants how to apply "correctly". Since every embassy/consulate has its own slightly different procedures, it's usually a good idea to call the embassy or even better go there in person and ask how to apply -- they'll help you out.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .