I am making a trip to Amsterdam in late September for a beer festival for 5 days, and I am trying to determine a means of getting there and back to Oxford that is both easy on my wallet but not overly strenuous or inconvenient. The other restriction causing me trouble is that I will be meeting my friends who are flying from Edinburgh to Amsterdam and will be arriving fairly early in the morning. As such, I also want to try and arrive sometime in the morning on this day (a wednesday if it makes a difference). At the moment, some options I have come up with are:
- theairline by Oxford Bus Co, period return to LHR (£29) -> return flight from LHR (~£95 at the moment, KLM)
- book Oxford Tube via megabus.com (£1 fares but somewhat unpredictable in terms of times they are offered for and the length it will take... if the megabus booking isn't possible, one can always just get a student period return on the Oxford Tube for £15) -> London Victoria -> take the tube from Victoria station to LHR (~£5) -> Return flight from LHR (~£95, KLM); this route could be quite a bit cheaper if the megabus deal works out, but obviously more of a hassle
- theairline period return to LGW (£37) + return flight from LGW (~£90, BA)
- I have stumbled across a train and ferry option offered by DutchFlyer. Taking the overnight ferry on the way over with a cabin and the day ferry on the way back without a cabin, the fare would total to £120. However, I would need to get to London Liverpool Stn which is where the train ticket included in this fare is valid from. So again, I could attempt to swing some sort of megabus/Oxford tube deal to get to this station. This sounds quite leisurely, but there are a number of changes involved, and I am wondering if anyone can recommend this in terms of convenience.
- megabus return from London Victoria Bus Station (I can't book far enough in advance, but prices look like they are about £45-50); although this is by far the cheapest even with the bus to and from London Victoria from Oxford, I would need to do the overnight bus with a total travel time of ~10-11hrs. Has anyone ever done this before and is it feasible to get some sleep?
These are only the options I have come up with, so if there are any other suggestions or ideas I could look into, please share.
P.S. I have looked into trains from London to Amsterdam, but the prices seem to be just extortionate.