I am Lebanese Citizen and am planning a trip to Ireland this month. A valid Irish visa is already in hand and I am willing to reach there through the UK.

Will I need a transit visa in the UK for few hours for flight connections to Ireland?


Transit visas are not valid for transit to the Republic of Ireland (here and here). This is because, due to the CTA, you must pass through border control and enter UK territory to board the flight (I am not sure why the Visitor in Transit Visa does not apply, as it is specifically for those who need to pass through Border Control). You have two options:

  1. If your Irish Visa is biometric, you can transit without a visa (here, "you have an Irish biometric visa and an onward flight ticket to the Republic of Ireland")
  2. Otherwise, you will need to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa, as neither of the Transit Visas (Visitor in Transit or Direct Airside Tranit) are valid for transit to the Republic of Ireland
  • I believe the Visitor in Transit visa does not apply because it requires the bearer to leave the Common Travel Area within the allotted time, not just the UK.
    – phoog
    May 4 '19 at 0:41

The GOV.UK website says:

You’ll usually need to apply for a UK standard visitor visa.

You might be eligible for ‘transit without visa’ if [...] [you] have an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section) and an onward flight ticket to the Republic of Ireland.

Furthermore, Timatic, the database used by airlines, says:

Passengers may make a landside transit if holding a valid biometric visa issued by Ireland (Rep.) endorsed "BC" or "BC BIVS" and traveling to Ireland (Rep.)

So if your Irish visa is not biometric, you need a UK Standard visitor visa (and not merely a transit visa). This is because although you will clear Irish immigration as well on arrival, from the UK's side you haven't "completely" left the country, due to the semi-open border agreement called the Common Travel Area (CTA).

  • You should also add the reverse situation (to Ireland through the UK) to improve your answer.
    – JonathanReez
    Nov 30 '17 at 17:56
  • @JonathanReez Read the question incorrectly, and have edited the answer
    – Crazydre
    Nov 30 '17 at 18:12
  • I would also add the Timatic version as it's more relevant for flying.
    – JonathanReez
    Nov 30 '17 at 18:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.