In the USA if enter with an ESTA you can stay 90 days but if you have a B1/B2 visa, you can stay 180 days (and have the possibility of extending even that with a I-539 form).

I am a citizen of an EU country and as such I am able to enter New Zealand without a visa. However, I am unable to find how could I stay longer than 90 days -- based on the USA example I was thinking maybe if I got a visa?

1 Answer 1


There are ways to stay longer than 90 days in New Zealand, even as a visitor. For example:

  • If you are under 30 (and meet some other conditions) then you may be eligible for a Working Holiday Scheme visa which lets you stay for a year
  • If you apply for a Visitor Visa you may request a duration of stay longer than 90 days

If you intend to work in New Zealand, such as if you have a job offer, you can apply for various temporary work visas. You may even apply for such a visa after you have arrived in the country as a tourist.

The Immigration New Zealand web site is well laid out and presents the various visa options clearly (see "Find a visa").

  • I plan to (in a few years) buy an apartment somewhere (so far Israel and New Zealand are candidates) and winter out there. That's why I am asking; I have seen the website the "you may request a duration of stay longer than 90 days" was unclear and I still don't see that anywhere on the site.
    – chx
    Mar 2, 2014 at 0:14
  • 1
    The visa application form has a space where you enter your intended dates of arrival and departure. I suppose you can request more than 90 days which they may approve. Mar 2, 2014 at 2:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.