I need a visa to travel to UAE. My passport will expire soon (June), so today I applied for a new passport and it will be delivered to me on March 17. I need to travel to Dubai on March 18. clearly not enough time to get a visa for the new passport.

Can I send a scan of my old passport to the agency who's getting the visa for me, get a visa with the old passport number on it and then travel with both passports to Dubai? My new passport to satisfy their 6 months validity requirement and the old passport to match the passport number?

1 Answer 1


Yes, just bring both the old passport with visa and the new valid passport with you. (Although you'll probably need to give the agency your actual old passport, not just a copy, if it's a visa label and not an electronic one.)

I have a standard UAE residency visa, but my passport is due to expire in a couple of months. The visa is valid for another year. How do I go about moving the visa from one passport to another? Is it expensive?

Usual practice is not to do this, as it is not required. You should apply for a new passport in the usual way and then join the two passports with an elastic band. In fact, many are returned from embassies in this form. You will not be asked any questions when entering or leaving the country, and will incur no additional costs.

That's from a newspaper and is about a residence visa, but the same applies to an ordinary visitor visa as well.

  • +1 for confirming it's possible but isn't that exactly what the OP was suggesting?
    – Relaxed
    Commented Feb 24, 2014 at 23:49
  • Yes, answer updated. Commented Feb 25, 2014 at 0:09
  • Thanks. So to confirm, the same applies for electronic visitor visas too right?
    – Michael
    Commented Feb 25, 2014 at 7:41
  • I don't see why not. Commented Feb 25, 2014 at 11:16
  • I called the UAE embassy today and they told me that it's NOT even possible for an agency to get the visa if it expires less than 6 months from the beginning of the visa, but if I already have a visa then I can travel with both passports.
    – Michael
    Commented Feb 26, 2014 at 20:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .