I got a B1 visa (Visitor-Business) for Canada in 2012 when I traveled to Canada for a business trip from my company. It expires in 2015 and I'd love to visit the Canada again, but for no other purpose than traveling, visiting family.

I want to know, If I can legally travel to Canada with B1 visa without a real business need (assuming I'm honest);

I live in India, and I have B1/B2 from US and used same Visa for Business & Personal visits multiple times.


While I've seen a lot of posts that talk about a "B1 visa for Canada", B1 is not the name of any visa for Canada. B1 visas are for the US.

If you visited Canada for business, (and assuming you are an Indian citizen) you should have got a Temporary Resident Visa (also called a Visitor Visa). As the link says "there is no separate application for business visitors".

These visas come in two types - single entry and multiple entry. If it was multiple entry, and it is still valid, then you can return to Canada as often as you like for either business or tourism purposes. There are limits on how long you can stay, and you can't work in Canada.

  • 6
    Thanks!! Interesting :) My Canada Visa in my passport says Category - B-1 Visitor - Business
    – Mandy
    Feb 21 '14 at 13:00
  • 2
    Since this answer is from 2014, I'm not sure what has changed in the meantime, but "there is no separate application for business visitors" is not correct. My B1 visa also states "B-1 Visitor - Business", and when I applied for it online there was a distinct application path for business visitors as opposed to tourists. Given all this, I wonder if it is still correct that visiting Canada for the purpose of tourism is possible on a B1 visa.
    – infrared
    Jun 30 '16 at 13:26

I agree with DJClayworth above. The B1 Visa is only for working in the states.

There's an FAQ on the US Customs and Border Protection site that talks about travelling to Canada while on a B1. They say it's possible, but you must meet Canada's requirements for entry.

Since you are an Indian national, you would have received a single entry or a multiple-entry visa (as DJC said above) when you visited Canada. If it's multiple-entry, you can continue to visit Canada up until the date listed.

Keep in mind, however, you still need to get back to the US after your visit. This is where the FAQ linked to above could come in handy - where you'll need to make sure your B1 and I94 are still valid, etc.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.