I am both a British citizen and a Canadian citizen I live in the UK and only have a British passport. Will being Canadian with proof of Canadian citizenship alter the requirement to obtain an ESTA before travelling to the USA from the UK on a UK pasport?


1 Answer 1


The US ESTA website says explicitly:

citizens of Canada who are traveling with a Canadian passport do not need an ESTA. (emphasis mine)

I would deduce that without a Canadian passport you will need to go through ESTA.

I'm also a dual British/Canadian citizen, resident in Canada, and I found it well worthwhile to get a Canadian passport precisely to avoid this sort of thing at the US border. But I go to the US pretty frequently.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .