The other answerers have answered your question about whether it is safe. I'd like to address the issue of chlorinated water not being very pleasant to drink by explaining how to dechlorinate the chlorinated water.
You can reduce that chloriney taste somewhat, mainly by aerating the water. I kept tropical fish for years and you can't use chlorinated water in a fish tank because it will poison the fish (it's used for killing bacteria and germs, after all). Special dechlorinating chemicals are sold for this purpose (I'd not recommend you use them as they're designed for fish tanks not human consumption), but there is another way: let the water stand for 24 hours and the chlorine will evaporate. This should remove the chloriney taste.
If you want to do it more quickly, or you don't want the water to taste stale (which could be worse than the chlorine taste in some people's opinion), just aerate the water as much as you can. Get two big glasses and pour it from one to the other back and forth for a little while. The more you air it, the less chlorine it will contain and hence the less chloriney it will taste.
As I'm sure you realise, removing the chlorine won't remove the germ-killing effects that the chlorine had as those effects have already taken place, so it will still be safe to drink from that perspective.