My family is traveling by air to Mexico for a vacation (more specifically, Cancún). Since I was born in the U.S. and am thus a U.S. citizen, I can get into Mexico without advance arrangements. However, both my parents aren't U.S. citizens (they're Indian citizens and passport holders), but are U.S. permanent resident card holders.

  • Do they need to make advance arrangements for a visa, or can they make do with the fact that they are U.S. permanent residents?
  • If we are going to travel in ten days, is it too late to get visas at the moment (if they need one)?

1 Answer 1


No. As US permanent residents, your parents do not need visas:

A foreign who has any of the following documents shall not require Mexican visa:

a) A document certifying permanent residence in Canada, USA, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or any of the countries of the Schengen Area;

  • The link has changed and no longer goes to the quoted text. Aug 15, 2017 at 2:03

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .