This question already has an answer here:

I'm a UK National currently on a J1 visa as a student in the US which expires on July 13th (after the grace period) but my flight isn't booked until August 22nd as I want to do some more travelling around the US. Can I go to Mexico for around 10 days and then re-enter the US on an ESTA?

marked as duplicate by Karlson, gerrit, Mark Mayo, Nate Eldredge, Dirty-flow Jan 28 '14 at 5:59

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Welcome to travel.SE. What's your citizenship? – Karlson Jan 27 '14 at 20:53
  • I'm a British Student – Milly Jan 27 '14 at 21:00

As long as you have your ESTA approved you should not have an issue. As per CBP you're not a subject to the 2 year home rule as long as you're not entering the US for the purpose of work or study.

So if you leave the country and then enter on an approved ESTA you should not have an issue.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.